Thursday, January 15, 2009

Zen Thought of the Day

Maybe it's just the usual late afternoon letdown, but after all I've said about all these things today I just have a feeling that I've somehow talked around the point. Some could ask, "Well, if I get around all those gumption traps, then will I have the thing licked?"

The answer, of course, is no, you still haven't got anything licked. You've got to live right too. It's the way you live that predisposes you to avoid the traps and see the right facts. You want to know how to paint a perfect painting? It's easy. Make yourself perfect and then just paint naturally. That's the way all the experts do it. The making of a painting or the fixing of a motorcycle isn't separate from the rest of your existence...

...The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself. The machine that appears to be "out there" and the person that appears to be "in here" are not two separate things. (Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance [Pirsig] 332)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Arthur and I are now devoted fans to your blog. Watch what you say. JUST KIDDING keep on being zen-ified to borrow the words of my friend.

~So Art~

Unknown said...

AND, we expect your next blog entry to demystify financial issues for us. or personal e-mails work too.

~So Art~